Fresh, engaging and out there. The journal of a modern journalist

Find out more about me

Thursday 30 April 2009

Munro-tastic



So while Asda were being useless I escaped the domestic nightmare and headed off for a tranquil night in the Angus Glens. I was being hosted by the Angus Glens Walking Festival (takes place this year at the end of May) and the lovely Glen Clova Hotel on a short but sweet press trip.

While I started my career in Dundee, at D C Thomson, and lived near Kirriemuir for a spell I had not returned to the area for almost 20 years. I can't recall back then being that interested in the countryside or walking or anything outdoorsy really, which is a shame because it has taken me two decades to rediscover an area that is utterly beautiful.

During the press trip I was guided (with other journos, PRs and local walking fans and experts) up one of the easiest going Munros I have ever encountered. Starting already at 700ft the ascent to the summit of Mayar was so soft a gradient that it almost didn't feel like hill walking.

This Munro, with several easy-ish Munro neighbours, sits amid a nature reserve called Corrie Fee and is a haven for all kinds of wildlife, including roe and red deer, as well as being one one of the most important sites for arctic-alpine plants in Britain. Just past the windy summit top, our group was treated to the sighting of a beautiful mountain hare, which was in the process of sheddng its white winter coat for a brown summer one.

The list of walks lined up for the festival includes more Munro tops, several valley rambles, a couple of coastal strolls and a range to suit all fitness abilities and desires. Although I visited for only a brief spell it is clear there is a lot of gorgeous countryside to explore in the Angus Glens. I only wish I'd had my eyes open 20 years ago!

1 comment:

  1. I love this area. When I studied (well that what I was meant to be doing!) in Dundee we used to get the bus to Forfar then hitch up to Glen Clova. Get a little pi**ed in the Glen Clova hotel (this was often accompanied by random local fiddlers fiddling)We would then either spend the night in the bothy or pitch our tent in the field next door before making our way home! What sweet memories. D

    ReplyDelete