Fresh, engaging and out there. The journal of a modern journalist

Find out more about me

Friday 31 July 2009

Bitten by the Sea kayak bug


And so I have finally been out for a sea kayak adventure. It's an activity I have been keen to try for years but somehow I have never found the time to give it a go. This week, thanks to the fab National Kayak School, newly based in Oban, I spent two glorious days pottering in and around sea lochs and islands close to the west coast tourist town.

If you have never given sea kayaking a go then I can't recommend it more highly. Alternately peaceful and relaxing, then full-on and bonkers, I found myself enthralled by the simple art of paddling a kayak along stunning coastlines and around the islands of Kerrera, Lismore and Shuma to name a few.

And while one night was spent in the plush surroundings of the Crerar Oban Bay Hotel, another night involved wild camping on the tranquil island of Kerrera, just a 45 min paddle from Oban itself. I'm not sure which I preferred the most: the champagne-style kayak experience combining a day's paddling with the decadence of a hotel or the sublime adventure package of paddling out to an island for a wilderness camp over.

I now have a huge hankering to head off for a much longer trip, perhaps paddling and wild camping between a larger number of islands off Scotland's wonderful west coast. Or maybe I'll head to Loch Nevis for a kayak trip into the wilderness of Knoydart. That's another outdoors bug that has bitten me!

2 comments:

  1. did you go en masse or was it an adult only thing? Just wondering if it's something to do with the kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Fiona, I've just stumbled across your blog on a 'bored' day at work! I've been getting into seakayaking this summer too and have joined the Glasgow Kayak club to get a bit better and for the same reasons as you I want to get off to the wilds. Me and husband did a trip last year up a loch near Ullapool (about 1hr paddle) and camped at the base of Sulliven, it was really beautiful. Elizabeth OD / Adams

    ReplyDelete