Fresh, engaging and out there. The journal of a modern journalist

Find out more about me

Wednesday 16 December 2009

Oh-so-happy with my new Helly Hansen top





I started with the traditional dark blue version of the Helly Hansen long-sleeved baselayer many years ago. It's the one that almost all sporty, outdoorsy types will have owned/still own. Certainly anyone who ever took part in Army type pursuits would have had one of these tops at some point.

Now, some 10 years later I still wear this much-loved and highly practical top for a wide range of sports, including running, yoga, cycling and hill walking. It still looks good and it does exactly the same warming, sweat-wicking away job as it did when I bought it. It has not stretched or faded or fallen apart. It has simply been/still is a great top.

Then Helly Hansen started to become a whole lot trendier. In the last five years, they have launched a much wider range of tops in short sleeves, long sleeves, half zips, leggings and even pants – and in an ever increasing number of colours.

I now own a bright pink half-zip, long sleeve Helly Hansen, a baby blue round necked long-sleeve and a black short-sleeve. Little Miss outdoors also has her own baby blue Helly Hansen that she's worn every week at her local running club.

The other day while looking round an outdoors shop both Little Miss Outdoors and I eyed up a purple version of the traditional Helly Hansen top (now on Little Miss Outdoors' Santa list) and a turquoise version with a lovely fleecy style inner layer (ideal for colder days outdoors and now on my Santa list).

But this was before I came across the latest range of Helly Hansen tops for women. This time, they are pretty and flowery - but still as practical and hard-wearing as ever before. In fact, the top looks so lovely that Little Miss Outdoors commented: "Mum, you could wear that top to the pub because it's so pretty!" And she's right. The new flowery tops for girls (and checks for boys) looks fab.

It also fits really well. Helly Hansen have managed to create a fitted sports top that hugs slim women in all the right places but without flattening their chests. No mean feat I can tell you.

So now I'm left with a major decision. Should I keep the top for best ie for wearing to the pub and while out with friends, or should I put it on for a sweaty run? Maybe the solution is to buy two: one for best and one for sweaty running.

For stockists and info see here

No comments:

Post a Comment