Fresh, engaging and out there. The journal of a modern journalist

Find out more about me

Wednesday 21 January 2009

A Tuesday in the life of...


Tuesdays are busy. I don't just mean with work (every day is busy with work) but with exercise. In our house there is a timetable of days of being mum/step-dad and days for fitness. It's the only way it works for us.

So on Mondays and Wednesdays Mr Outdoors plays football, while I am mum. And on Tuesdays and Thursdays I do my fitness activities, while Mr Outdoors is step-dad. Friday evening and most of the weekend are for being together as a family (and for Mr Outdoors to see his kids).

But the problem is that because time is short for fitness both Mr Outdoors and I try to squeeze in as much as we can to our allotted evenings. Which is why on a Tuesday I go to a circuits class from 7pm to 8.15pm and then straight to a Tri Club swim session from 9pm to 10pm. This might actually be manageable if it wasn't for the Ashtanga yoga class I do on a Tuesday morning.

Ok, so most people think of yoga as an activity for girls and wimps but Ashtanga is not at all like that. It's a full-on 80 mins session of sun salutations, difficult postures and sweat. 

The fact that I have to walk (we only have one car and it's not always with me!) to the yoga class and back and then walk to collect my daughter from after-school childcare and then walk back again and then walk to the circuits class just adds to my feelings of total knackeredness by 10.15pm on a Tuesday evening. 

I do not even have the energy to luxuriate a little in post-exercise smugness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment