Fresh, engaging and out there. The journal of a modern journalist

Find out more about me

Tuesday 10 February 2009

Talking of special things for Valentine's


Mr Outdoors is well known for his practical gifts. His first ever present to me was a Leatherman penknife. While it was pretty, purple and much loved I don't think I imagined it would be a sign of the gifts to come. Over the last 7 years I have received a rucksack for running, a rucksack for cycling, a bike chain cleaning kit, a set of allen keys, a heart-rate monitor, heated skiing gloves, a grown-up rucksack, a Timex GPS watch, a heated mug, off-road trainers, maps ...and on. 

I have loved every gift (expect perhaps the chain cleaning kit for Valentine's 2007) but sometimes a girl hankers after something a little more romantic. Now Little Miss Outdoors has taken Mr Outdoors' gift-buying technique to task. The other day I overheard her whispering to Mr Outdoors: "Now, you know mummy won't like it if you go to Tiso's Outdoors Centre for her Valentine's gift. At Christmas she said you should be banned from there. I think I might have to help you buy something from Asda."

While Asda might not be resplendent with a wide ranging stock of perfect presents it does at least sell chocolates and flowers. I have my fingers (warmed by a very useful pair of fingerless gloves - yes, that was another Mr Outdoors gift) crossed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment