Fresh, engaging and out there. The journal of a modern journalist

Find out more about me

Wednesday 6 January 2010

Running on ice - the solution

Thanks to fellow runner Superfit Dave, I may now have the answer to how to run on the ice and snow.

First, Superfit suggested that I use orienteering shoes with spikes. These are like your usual off-road running trainers but come with extra metal spikes for added grip on wet wood and trails while orienteering.

But I actually prefer Superfit's second suggestion: ice cleats for ordinary shoes. Really you need to check out this link to get the full idea but essentially the ice cleats (or grips or grabbers) are like simpler, lighter weight crampons that you'd normally use on hiking boots but for ordinary shoes and trainers. You simply fix the cleat, which comes neatly fitted with non-slip spikes, over your ordinary shoes/trainers and off you go - hopefully with not a single slip or slither along icy or snowy pavements.



This link for "snow grabbers" shows the kind you might use for trainers - but I really loved the grips designed for high-heeled shoes. I know most people wouldn't venture out in the snow and ice in four-inch stilettos but you've got to remember this is Glasgow. I have seen at least a dozen women in recent weeks risking their lives on icy pavements in ludicrous high -heeled boots!



The ice cleats are apparently known as granny spikes (because they are most commonly worn by women in their later years) in countries where they are already popular, such as Germany and Sweden. It can only be a matter of time before these gadgets catch on in our snow-blasted country, too.

3 comments:

  1. They're out of stock! Can't imagine why. I risked a trek through the icy wastelands of the west end of Glasgow in hiking boots today - and still nearly came to grief. If the weather ever gets back to drizzly just-above-freezing normality and they get some more stock, I will be buying some. Not the high-heeled version, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look similar to the ones I have. wwww.spiky.com same basic concept. I love em. work on a loading dock and broke my arm 3 years ago been using them since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Immediately drawn by essayist's selective method for composing.
    best-ice-traction-cleats

    ReplyDelete