Fresh, engaging and out there. The journal of a modern journalist

Find out more about me

Friday 19 March 2010

Competitive? The tri club? Absolutely!

Tri club coach Captain McKay decided last night that we'd have a "fun" running session. Well if that meant a break from punishing interval training then we were all happy. But, of course, "fun" among a group of competitive triathletes was always going to end in a fierce competition, wasn't it?

And the concept was perfect for pushing our competitive streaks to the limit. Two teams, four slower runners and four faster runners each. Team A first ran the shorter loop of 550m as a relay, while Team B ran the longer loop of 900m as a relay. Then the teams swapped. Team B did the shorter loop and Team B did the longer loop.

But it was only when the final few runners were setting off that we all realised just how close the relay was going to be. The final runner in Team A was Ross-I'm-getting-too-old-for-all-this. The final runner in Team B was FionaOutdoors!

But Ross-I'm-getting-too-old-for-all-this was doing the longer loop. And I was doing the shorter loop.

But Ross-I'm-getting-too-old-for-all-this had a head start because the penultimate runner in his team had made it back to the start line before the penultimate runner in my team.

But then our runner came around the corner, crossed the finish line and gave me the ok to start running.

I knew it was going to be close run. I felt my legs wobble dangerously with nerves. I could feel my stomach churning. But I was determined not to let my team down.

But then as I turned my final corner I heard the rest of the teams shouting and cheering. I thought Ross-I'm-getting-too-old-for-all-this was closing in on the finish after doing his loop.

But still I ploughed on. Heaving and pushing myself to the edge of my ability (gosh, you'd think this was the Commonwealth Games or something) I willed myself on. And then I saw the finish line. And I saw Ross-I'm-getting-too-old-for-all-this closing in too. And I kept sprinting for the line. And I thought my lungs would explode and my legs would give way.

And then there was huge cheering in my ears.

And, yes, I'd done it. I'd beaten Ross-I'm-getting-too-old-for-all-this to the finish - by about two metres. Team B were victorious!

It was an amazingly close race and a huge amount of fun. But boy are my legs killing me today!

Great session Captain McKay!

No comments:

Post a Comment