Fresh, engaging and out there. The journal of a modern journalist

Find out more about me

Wednesday 5 May 2010

Cycling, Bealach Mor and the Mighty Vickster


There are some very fit people in Glasgow Triathlon Club and I can only dream of being able to keep up with most of them. In particular I wish I was as good as them on a road bike. With my entry in for the infamous Bealach Mor (that 90-mile cycling sportive that includes the UK's longest Alpine-style hill climb at Applecross) in September I need to put in some serious pedalling miles of training.

So on Sunday I got my act together and set out with the Mighty Vickster (world age group triathlon champion and fabbie cyclist) for a two-and-half-hour ride. Various people have been in contact since spotting me to say that I must be really fit just now if I was keeping up with the Mighty Vickster. The truth is that the MV had cycled 115 miles the day before and so I could just about keep apace with her and her very tired legs!

To be honest the MV's dedication to her friends went well beyond the ordinary call of duty on Sunday. I'm sure the last thing she wanted to do was join me for more cycling but she knew I needed the bike miles under my belt and so she very kindly led me on a really pleasant country road cycle out to such places as Balfron, Killearn, Fintry and back over the dreaded Crow Road.
We even found some nice smooth tarmac to cycle on instead of the usual pot holes.

Perhaps it was the girlie chat, or perhaps I am a little fitter than I thought, but I managed the full outing without too much hassle. I now need to up the mileage a little every week to reach the goal of managing 90miles of ridiculously tough terrain come September.

I will forever dream of completing the distance in as short a time as the tri club cyclists. In reality it will be a slog - but hopefully a rewarding challenge. Read my progress on two wheels over the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment